California Native Scholarship
This scholarship provides up to $10,000 for 2020-2021 Academic Year and was established to assist California Indian students in pursuing their educational goals through the granting of competitive and meritorious based financial scholarships. For 2019-2020, the Rodney T. Mathews, Jr. Memorial Scholarship for California Indians will provide four (4) awards of $10,000 each to support California Indian students who want to continue their education. Scholarships shall be granted to eligible applicants on a yearly basis (as long as there are funds available). Each award is for a 12-month period, renewable for a second year pending demonstration of exceptional progress.
- Must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized California Tribe. (Documentation of Native identity is required. Attach a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood, Letter from Tribe, and Photograph).
- Must be a full-time student at an accredited College or University.
- Be actively involved in the Native American community.
Two letters of recommendation are required:
- Academic Recommender
- American Indian Community Recommender. Letters of reference must be on official letterhead from the individual supplying the reference.
- Must have completed The Rodney T. Mathews, Jr. Memorial Scholarship for California Indian and be in good standing in accordance with all Scholarship Rules and Regulations.
- All undergraduate students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 and all graduate students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5.
- Must complete 60 hours of community service with a designated California Indian Community Agency (see attached list of agencies)
- Must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have financial need as determined by the appropriate Office of Financial Aid.
- Personal Statement & Essay Questions. All applicants must answer question A and respond to either item 1 or item 2 from question B. Please type essay responses and attach on a separate sheet of paper.
- Academic Study Plan (see attached). This form must be completed and signed by your institutional academic advisor for all academic scholarships.
- Transcripts – Official copies of student transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended. See release waiver section in Terms and Conditions form.
- Letters of Recommendation. Required: 1) Academic Recommender and 2) American Indian Community Recommender. Letters of reference must be on official letterhead from the individual supplying the reference.
- California Indian Community Service Form
- Terms and Conditions Form
- The Rodney T. Mathews, Jr. Memorial Academic Scholarship for California Indians Rules and Regulations.
DEADLINE DATE: June 1, 2020
Mail the completed and signed application to:
RTM Scholarship Coordinator
11952 Potrero Road
Banning, CA 92220
All documents must be postmarked by the deadline of June 1, 2020 or be hand-delivered to the RTM Scholarship Coordinator by 5:00 PM on the deadline date. No faxed or late applications will be accepted. Applicants are responsible for following up on their applications status with the RTM Scholarship Coordinator. If you have any questions or need assistance in completing any portion of the Rodney T. Mathews, Jr. Memorial Academic Scholarship for California Indians application, please call the RTM Scholarship Coordinator at 951-572-6185.